"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Drama Queen is Born

Sparkly, Bubbly, Bouncy


My youngest child has epitomized these adjectives since she burst onto the scene 10 years ago February 7.  She came into this world dramatically, and she's been a drama queen ever since.  I checked into the hospital expecting the pitocin-induced labor that I experienced with the older two, but Maddie had different ideas.  Partway through the process, the doctors and nurses wheeled me into the operating room for an emergency C-section due to Placenta Abrupto.  Perhaps Maddie didn't think a conehead would bode well for princess status and caused a little commotion just to make sure that crown would look fabulous on a perfectly shaped head.  In any case, she made her entrance known to everyone like Hollywood divas do walking the red carpet on Oscar night.  I didn't realize at the time, that she is a walking, dancing, skipping miracle.  A few years ago, I learned how life-threatening my condition was and that this impetuous angel might not have survived.  To the staff's credit, they were remarkably calm and didn't waste any time delivering Maddie.  The doctor sedated me, cut me open and sewed me up more quickly than it takes to sing the National Anthem.  Maddie's grand entrance set the stage for her future dramatic performances.

In the past 10 years, she has played the lead actress in grocery stores, friends' homes and at Disneyworld throwing tantrums.  On one particular occasion, she should've received an Oscar for Best Fit of all time.  Let me just insert here that sometimes parents are just plain stupid when they stay at Disney until midnight with a two year old.  Nope, not smart at all.  Her dad wrapped his arms around her little body to contain her.  Instead, she began to kick fellow tram travelers while screaming, "Daddy, you're hurting me.  Stop hurting me!"  The only people who were hurt were the poor innocents she was kicking due to her loss of self-control.  Still, her choice of words caused me to wonder if Child Protective Services might pay us a visit.  When the tram stopped, people jumped off faster than they would run out of a burning building.

It goes without saying that she has played starring roles as a Drama Queen.  She's never been content to play the supporting actress.  She's the social butterfly, party organizer and chatterbug.  When relaying an incident with friends, Maddie says, "They're so full of drah-mah!"  When a friend's seat is moved away from her, Maddie expains, "Oh, they were talking too much."  When I ask why she takes her tests in the hallway instead of the class, she states, "People distract me with their talking."  Every report card, every conference with the teacher, I expect to read and hear the same thing.  Maddie talks too much and needs to focus on her work better, but she's a pleasure to have in class.  Of course, she is.  Maddie's a party waiting to happen.  It's the work she doesn't like to do. "Fun" is Maddie's modus operandi. 

Energizer Bunny is what I've always called that be-bopping little girl.  From the moment she awakes to the moment we beg, plead and force her to go to bed, she is bouncing, chattering flipping.  She tumbles four hours at gymnastics and still has more battery life for eating dinner, doing homework and negotiating to stay up late like the teenagers. "It's not fair," she cries about her 9 o'clock bedtime. She always has one more story to relay to us and one more stuffed animal to find.  By this time, my energy is sapped and hers is recharged.  "Get in bed, so we can pray," I snap.  Makes for a lovely ending to the day, don't you think?

As strong-willed as that little munchkin is, she is equally big-hearted, compassionate and loving.  Maddie is quick to remember those in our family who need prayer.  Thoughtful, she asks provoking questions and converses with others as an adult would.  Not too long ago, Maddie and I were talking to a former principal of her older siblings.  He told her to tell them "hi" from him.  She said, "I don't think I'll remember since they won't be back until next week."  He looked amazed. "Wow, you are something, aren't you?"  Yep, no matter the age, Maddie can communicate with them without intimidation.  On another occasion, we were discussing what the word "innocent" meant.  I explained what it meant and she said, "No offense, Mom, but you've made mistakes."  I wanted to say, "No, duh," but I figured that would be a little rude.  That kid not only says the darnedest things that make me howl, but she also asks all manner of questions spurred by her desire to learn.
I am grateful for this little miracle who just entered the world of double digits.  In spite of the stop-growing-drops her father continues to sprinkle on her, she continues to mature physically, emotionally and spiritually.  She's ecstatic those drops aren't working.  Now she's setting her sights on 11. I, however, am hoping time will slow down just a little bit, so the eight years I have left with that joy-filled, spunky girl will seem like an eternity. At least, that's my wish most days. 

1 comment: