"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Feast

Heredity plays a huge factor in determining physical appearance and personality. Our parents generously give us certain traits whether or not we want them. Nice of them to do that. And, they sometimes overlook one child and give wonderful gifts to another in the family. Nice of them to do that. For example, my sister received artistic gifts from my dad; I did not. In fact, I have zero craft abilities, thank you very much. On the other hand, my father neglected to give my brother any of his 6’3” height. There went the basketball career my brother thought he’d have. My mother gave me the ability (not the desire, alas) to cook; it skipped my sister. Thank goodness her husband cooks, so they don’t starve. But, what about those abilities, those gifts with which we are blessed that come from out of the blue? Like couponing!
For as long as I can remember, I’ve cut, sorted and saved with coupons. I don’t recall my mother ever saving coupons. I’m an anomaly.  Lately, however, I’ve taken couponing to a new level.  While I wouldn’t call myself extreme, I am an official binder carrying coupon machine. I purchase 4 papers each Sunday. I not only cut coupons, but I also download and print them.  Then, I organize them into currency sleeves divided into separate tabs, such as “food”, “medicine”, “personal care”, “laundry and cleaning”, “makeup”. I sort the food coupons to correspond with the aisles at Kroger, my favorite grocery store. When they rearranged the entire store a few months ago, I nearly had a heart attack. Suddenly I found myself flipping binder pages back and forth like Willow Smith in her popular song. It was a chaotic mess for weeks.
Thankfully, fresh meat doesn’t travel around the store; otherwise I would have participated in a chicken scavenger hunt. These fabulous chicken enchiladas are too delicious to miss. A friend made this recently, and my children raved about it. You can make it as mild or spicy as you like depending on the tastes of those in your family.
Chicken Enchiladas
8-10 tortillas
3-4 cooked chicken breasts
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
Chopped jalapeños to taste (or mild green chilies)
½ c. sour cream
1 c. chicken broth
2 c. cheddar cheese (I use cheddar-jack or Mexican)

Mix sour cream, soups, jalapeños, and chicken broth. (Consistency should be spreadable but not runny.) In each tortilla, put shredded chicken and ¼ to ½ c. soup mixture. Roll. Place tortillas side by side in 9x13 greased pan. Cover with remaining soup mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.  (Side note: I heat tortillas up for about 20 seconds in the microwave so they are easier to roll.)

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment